Crumbling Burmese Architecture for WSJ Magazine » Pegu Club Yangon

Pegu Club Yangon

The Pegu Club was constructed in 1882 and was the most exclusive British Club in all of Burma. Founded in 1871 the club was initially located in a different location, before this teak building was constructed a decade later. The club was men only, strictly white, and boasted 350 members at its peak. It was often referred to as the real seat of power for the Burmese Government. The Pegu Club Cocktail can also traces its gin and lime heritage to this particular colonial outpost.